Thursday, July 23, 2009

Twilight Book Club reads "The Lace Reader"

On Tuesday, August 4th at 6:30 PM, the Twilight Book Club will meet to discuss The Lace Reader, by Brunonia Barry.

"My name is Towner Whitney. No, that's not exactly true. My real first name is Sophya. Never believe me. I lie all the time ..." So begins a mesmerizing tale of a family of women in old Salem who can read the future in patterns of lace. Towner Whitney, whose memories have become unreliable after undergoing primitive shock therapy for her "depression" must untangle the dark threads of events that surround the disappearance of two women as they intersect with her own family history.

"Evocative, layered, smart, and astonishing, The Lace Reader is a fever dream of a novel that will haunt me for a long time to come. The Salem, Massachusetts that the Whitney women inhabit is a wild, dark place, and I loved every moment that I spent there." -- Joshilyn Jackson, author of The Girl Who Stopped Swimming

Book group copies are available at the Circulation Desk. For more information, contact Darrell Eifert at deifert (at) hampton.lib.nh.us

The Twilight Book Club meets on the first Tuesday of each month, from 6:30-8 p.m. in the Dorothy Little room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home